Saturday, November 10, 2012

Part II: The Garden

[This is part two in a six-part series. If you haven't read the previous parts, I suggest that you go back to November 9 and start at the beginning, as each part builds on the next.]


The prayer garden at Pomba is beautiful; it occupies a small hill, with terraced gardens and lots of meandering walkways, dotted with solitary benches. One can always find a quiet place to sit and meditate, read, or pray in the garden. The garden and visitors’ compound are the only two places on the base where Pomba kids are not allowed to go. Ever. Under any circumstance. Pemba villagers are also not allowed in these areas, althought–unlike the Pomba residents–they are also barred from the children’s compounds and some other areas of the larger compound.

Don’t get me wrong. The children at Pomba can be a delight, and we visitors love to spend hours a day with them, talking (though we might not share a language), laughing, coloring, crafting, playing, and eating. The favorite of the littlest ones, though, is to just be held. Many have never known a mother’s touch, and the need for it flows out of them almost visibly. Any visitor who sits still for even a moment will end up with a small child in his or her lap.

But for Westerners who are used to “down time,” to self-imposed solitude, to shutting the doors of their homes at the end of the workday, closing out all but the most intimate members of their families, the constant crowds, the constant “being with,” the constant noise, and, frankly, the constant need of everyone around them becomes overwhelming. We must have someplace to retreat to, and that is why the visitors’ compound and the prayer garden are enforced by compound security as for Visitors Only.

One evening, toward the end of our stay at La Pomba, our group was on its way back to the visitors’ compound when we saw that there was something going on at the prayer hut, which is a very large gazebo in the prayer garden. Our group leader, Kaye, was in the lead, and she wandered over to see what all of the music, voices, light, and movement were about. The girls followed, and one by one, they went in. It was a large–and loud–prayer service, which is common in this particular branch of Christianity.

I wanted to pray but I felt like I really needed some quiet time with God. I wanted to pray in solitude, not in the circus. I guess I needed that door that I could close to shut out the crowds. I stood on the walkway outside the prayer hut, watching the rest of our group go into the service, and considered going back to our room in the visitors’ compound, but I knew that even there, it would be crowded and noisy. I set out in search of a bench I could have to myself. I liked the idea of being near enough to the prayer service to absorb some of its energy but far enough away from it to not be distracted by it.

On my way to a bench, I saw some strange activity in the garden, but I didn’t dwell on it. It seemed like there were people in the prayer garden who shouldn’t be there. I went to the bench closest to the hut, but someone was already there, in an attitude of prayer, so I went on. The next bench, at about the highest point in the garden, was free, so I took it. I often pray with my eyes open, so I still found the light and noise from the gazebo a little distracting. I turned away from it and continued praying.

I also continued to be aware of odd activity in the garden, though I was trying to stay focused on praying. I had seen a number of shadowy figures walking around in the back of the garden, which is just a big field that they aren’t using yet and haven’t cleared. It has high grass, small bushes, and a few trees. It’s an excellent hiding place if you want to go sneaking around. It appeared to me that several of the older children who lived at Pomba were doing exactly that. The wall that separates the ministry from the village was about 20 feet away, with a big baobab tree in front of it. At that point, the wall is low enough that just about any person in reasonably good shape could get themselves over it. I got the idea that Pomba kids and village kids were meeting up in the bushes, and I couldn’t imagine that it was for any good purpose. As I was aware of all of this shady activity going on behind me, I had the odd thought, “What if something bad happened? What should I do?” And the thought came to me, “You should scream.” But this was a fleeting thought, and I didn’t dwell on it. Instead, I tried to make myself focus on praying. I had seen four people walk along the farthest back edge of the garden, one at a time, and carefully spaced out so that it didn’t look as if they were together, but they all headed toward the wall. Once they disappeared behind the baobab tree, I didn’t see them again. Later, three people emerged from the same spot, again, carefully separating themselves in time and space, so that they looked like they were alone. If they were some of the same ones who had gone behind the tree originally, the fourth one never emerged. I just had the sense that something very dark was going on back there. I prayed.

No comments:

Post a Comment